- Economic Crisis and Dual Transition in Korea (with Sunhyuk Kim) (Seoul: Seoul National University Press, 2004).
- The Quality of Life in Korea: Comparative Dynamic Perspectives (with Chong-Min Park and Conrad Rutkowski) (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003).
Politics and Culture in Democratizing Korea (Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 1999).
Reforms and Democratizing Korea (with Larry Diamond) (Stanford:
Hoover Institution Press, 1999).
Democracy and Its Future (in Korea) (with Myung Chey and
Kwang-Woong Kim) (Seoul: Seoul National University Press, 1990).
- "Perceptions of Life Quality among the Korean Mass Public: Unraveling their Dynamics and Standards," (with Chong-Min Park), forthcoming in Social Indicators Research (2004).
- "Democratic Governance in South Korea: The Perspectives of Ordinary Citizens and their Elected Representatives," Japanese Journal of Political Science 4(2) (2003), 215-240.
- "Mass Politics, Public Opinion, and Democracy in Korea," in Samuel Kim ed., Korea's Democratization (Cambridge University Press, 2003), 47-77.
Backwards: The Problem of Third-Wave Democracies," (with
Richard Rose) British Journal of Political Science 31
(April 2001), 331-354.
Progress in Korea and Taiwan," (with Yun-han Chu and Larry
Diamond) Journal of Democracy 12 (January 2001), 122-136.
the Dynamics of Democratization in Korea: The Korea Democracy
Barometer Surveys," International Journal of Korean
Studies (Winter 2001), 4(1), 37-66.
Long March to Democracy," (with Larry Diamond) Stanford
Diegest (fall 1999), 125-135.
Dynamic of Popular Reactions to Democratization in Korea,"
(with Peter McDonough) Journal of Public Policy (1999),
Vol. 19, no.1:1-32.
between Democratic Ideal and Reality: Evidence from Korea"
(with Richard Rose), in Pippa Norris, ed., Critical Citizens:
Global Support For Democratic Governance (Oxford University
Press, 1999), 146-168.
Response to Democratization in Korea and Post-Communist Countries,"
(with Richard Rose) in Chung-In Moon and Jongryn Mo, eds., Democratization
and Globalization in Korea (Seoul: Yonsei University Press,
- "Democratization and Participation: Comparing Spain, Brazil, and Korea," (with Peter McDonough), Journal of Politics (November 1998), 919-953.
Ambivalence in South Korea and Taiwan," (with Huoyan Shyu)
Journal of Democracy 8 (July 1997), 109-124.
Parties and Democratization in Korea," Democratization
2 (summer 1995), 20-45.
Quality of Mass Support for Democratization," Social
Indicators Research 35 (July 1995), 239-253.